Tuesday 10 November 2015

Art of Punk: Under Cover (Side One Dummy)



Side One Dummy, the great Los Angeles-based punk rock record label, recently celebrated its 20th anniversary. The label has been (and is) home to many great artists over the years including; Andrew Jackson Jihad, Chuck Ragan, Fake Problems, Flogging Molly and The Gaslight Anthem. To celebrate some of the defining releases from the last 20 years, Side One Dummy teamed up with graphic novel artist and mural painter Justin Peterson to create a set of unique art prints.

‘Under Cover: Volume One’ features 8 great Side One Dummy releases re-imagined as comic book-style black and white illustrations. These are available as 6”x6” prints, direct from the S1D store, and come packaged in a 7” sleeve. Snap them up while you can as volume one of Under Cover is limited to 100 copies – I assume there are to be future ‘volumes’ at some point, though!


Featured albums clockwise (from top left) are: Flogging Molly – Drunken Lullabies, Title Fight – Shed, The Horrible Crowes – Elsie, Chuck Ragan – Till Midnight, Gogol Bordello – Super Taranta!, The Gaslight Anthem – The ’59 Sound, Fake Problems – Real Ghosts Caught on Tape and Andrew Jackson Jihad – Christmas Island.


I’ve mentioned before, in various other blog posts here on Colin’s Punk Rock World, that The Gaslight Anthem are (or were) a very important band to me. The ’59 Sound is most definitely one of my favourite albums of all time and contains some of my most-loved songs in the world. I’m not a huge fan of the album artwork for the album, but I’ve definitely seen worse (ahem, Get Hurt by the band is one of the least appealing album covers of last year). I do, however, absolutely love how Justin has used his own illustration style to give The ’59 Sound a new lease of life. He’s captured the boys perfectly.



Justin isn’t a stranger to re-creating record sleeves in his characteristic comic book-style, as well as this series of prints for Side One Dummy, last year he spent October documenting his favourite albums of all time – Inktober. I’m a big fan of the two REM illustrations on there. (I know, I know, not punk!)

No comments:

Post a Comment