Thursday 22 February 2018

Top Tens: Alex From Skank Agenda and No Ta's Top Ten Punk Rock Influences


Colin asked me if I would be interested in doing a Top Ten of my punk influences. I said yes I would. Here they are in chronological order (just about).

1 James and Alan
You don’t know them but when I was growing up in the late 70s/early 80s, James and Alan were my Mum and Dad's friend's sons. They were 5 and 7 years older than me. I remember being in total awe of what they looked like (piercings, leather, coloured hair, mohawks) and also their record collections and posters on their walls – specifically the imagery on records by the Dead Kennedys and Crass – which as a 10 year old were shocking, confusing and alluring to me. With attitudes towards their parents to match their looks, James and Alan were definitely my first punk influence.

2 The Clash
The Clash! Doesn’t need much explanation. The first band who really mattered to me and they still do today.

3 Skateboarding
To skate (even badly) during the wonder years of skate videos like H Street, Public Domain, Future Primitive, The Search For Animal Chin, Shackle Me Not, Plan B etc.  and the magic of the images burned into my mind from these videos (Mike Vallely skating the monuments in Washington DC, Rodney Mullen spinning in pink shorts in a barn, The Wallows in Hawaii, Lance Mountain’s ramp in his backyard etc.) were glorious times. These people were fucking “Rad” for sure and so was the music which soundtracked them. Skateboarding was anti-establishment, beautiful and there were no rules. It helped teach me that being individual was better than following the in crowd.

4 Chris Brown
Not the woman beating R’n’B arsehole but a chef who I worked with when I was 17 who introduced me to and took me to see, amongst others, UK Subs, The Cramps and The Ramones. These were my first punk gigs and they were quite an eye opener.

5 Public Enemy
As punk as any punk band and as far as I am concerned, The Clash of my generation. The first 5 albums are possibly the greatest ever first 5 albums of any band. Their iconic imagery and furious, political and (mostly) righteous message struck a chord with me from the moment I heard them. One of the first bands to politicise me and show me songs written about serious issues was where it was at. One of the first bands to go it alone and embrace the internet to promote their message and they are still making great, important music to this day. Chuck D is totally personable and approachable and ready and willing to engage one on one with you – no heirs and graces. Also the loudest band live I ever heard.

6 Beastie Boys
A massive influence on me. Ever changing style, always sounding fresh. Started as a hardcore band and continued as one in attitude even when not sounding hardcore. Always original, innovative and masters of their art. Beastie Boys were punk.

7 Operation Ivy
Amazing band, amazing music, amazing lyrics. Just great. Jesse Michaels's lyrics are simply brilliant and there are many lessons to anyone who cares to listen about unity and respect. Not to mention the raw production and amazing energy of the records. Not sure what Lint and Matt got up to after they split up but if they were to form a band it wouldn’t be a patch on Operation Ivy.

8 Anna
I met the love of my life in 1997 having spent much of the decade in a haze of weed smoking and listening to a lot of Hip Hop. As you did with people you liked back then I made her a mixtape – she lent me Black Flag – Live ’84 and I knew it was love. It was Anna who re-introduced me to punk and also encouraged me and gave me the belief to start my own band just by being punk as fuck herself.

9 Nick
Nick has been my friend for over 22 years and we played in a band together for 10 of them. He has introduced me to more bands than most people have had hot dinners and most of them have been fucking ace.

10 The UK Punk Scene
More specifically the organisers of the 4 great UK punk festivals – Ben (Pie Race), Andy (Manchester Punk Festival), Alex (Wonkfest) and Derrick (Book Yer Ane Fest) These guys are some of the nicest and most industrious people I have been lucky enough to run into. They are responsible for helping introduce, support and promote hundreds of bands that otherwise we may never have heard of. They all also play in banging bands and inspire me to try and replicate a bit of the magic their creativity and hard work produces.

11 What do you mean I can’t have 11?
Go fuck yourself then.

Check out Skank Agenda nad No Ta on Bandcamp here.

Like Skank Agenda here and No Ta here.

No comments:

Post a Comment