Friday 23 March 2018

Column: Without Punk Rock


Recently I've been thinking a lot about all of the different things that punk rock has given me. It's kind of crazy how this simple, everyman, play three chords on the guitar as fast as you can and shout along music has played such a big part in shaping the past fifteen years of my life. From the little things to the big life changing decisions, punk rock has played a massive part in everything. Here's a list of things (good and bad) that probably wouldn't have happened in my life without the best type of music ever.

I wouldn't have learnt it's okay to speak my mind.

I wouldn't have mastered the London Underground.

I wouldn't have been propositioned by an old gay gentleman in Brighton.

I wouldn't have gone on an 18 hour Mega Bus journey to Dundee.

I wouldn't have learnt about community.

I wouldn't know how to skank.

I wouldn't have seen the most disgusting thing I've ever seen.

I wouldn't have attempted and completed a fifty-two gigs in a year challenge.

I wouldn't have discovered a passion for writing.

I wouldn't have (hopefully) gotten better at writing.

I wouldn't have friends in awesome bands.

I wouldn't have many friends at all.

I wouldn't have been offered drugs and been told I'm a devil worshipper within five minutes of arriving in Brixton.

I wouldn't have eaten raw chicken.

I wouldn't have been on a plane.

I wouldn't have met Emma.

I wouldn't live in Bedford.

I wouldn't have just been told the most exciting news.

I wouldn't have friends in South Africa.

I wouldn't have been to Florida.

I wouldn't have been to Berlin.

I wouldn't know that The Ramones are the greatest band that ever existed.

I wouldn't have learnt about mental health.

I wouldn't have learnt that it's okay to be different.

I wouldn't have had songs dedicated to me.

I wouldn't have left my favourite t-shirt in a car park in Nottingham.

I wouldn't have a team.

I wouldn't have started CPRW.

You wouldn't be reading this post.

This is what I came up with in an hour. Have a think and leave some comments about the things in your life that wouldn't have happened without punk rock.

This column was written by Colin Clark.

No comments:

Post a Comment